More on Maps  

Posted by evildm in

I always said that Broadsword was a "Light" version of Legends of Steel. To this end I have asked Keith to add a few new details to the map of Erisa (Formerly known as the world of Broadsword). Several cities, nations and geographic features will be added to the new map being developed. Correspondingly, I have more writing to do on these new areas. I not only have to try and develop a unique personality for each entry but also make sure that they fit into the overall canvas that was created with the release of World of Broadsword.

When I saw the very first proof that Keith did of just a small section of Erisa, I kid you not, I got chills. I have been working on and playing in Erisa for almost 20 years, and to see it rendered so beautifully on a map is just so cool. I can imagine at least a smidgen of what Gary Gygax or Ed Greenwood felt, the first time they ever saw a finished map of Oerth or Toril. What kept running through my head was "this world is mine." I created it and populated it with all of my favorite tropes, clichés, and things that I just thought were cool.

I read a story that featured wagon peoples- they're there.

There was an issue of Marvel Premier that featured Man-Wolf sneaking into a floating castle- its there.

I read a Forgotten realms book set in the jungles of Chult, where dinosaurs still roamed I loved that visual- It's there.

The influences of Robert E. Howard, Fritz Leiber, David Gemmell, John Norman, Robert Adams, Brian Daley, Talbot Mundy, Harold Lamb, Barry Sadler, Harryhausen, Frazetta, Vallejo, Marvel, DC, Atlas, Charlton, Warren, TSR, Saturday morning cartoons and Saturday night "Creature Feature"- all there.

Every person has their influences. And for Erisa, those and dozens more are mine.

I should have had this done years ago. If you have a "homebrew" world that you've been playing in for any length of time I really suggest having it rendered professionally. It's a great feeling.

1 comments

Thank you for the informative piece. You must have read my mind. After reading your last article, I have every intention of getting my "Tekralh" map redone professionally later this year.

Post a Comment

Purchase Broadsword at RPGNow

Purchase the World of Broadsword at RPGNow